Logo

Logo

Friday, August 1, 2014

Icestorm 1st impressions



Operation Icestorm First Look!


Hello Infinity players,
            This blog post will cover our initial opening and review of Operation Ice Storm. This is the Infinity starter box set. It contains two factions (Pan O and Nomads) a few new models, a new quickstart rulebook, new cardboard terrain and a set of template and counters.
            The miniatures come in the standard infinity brown boxes that are now actually really useful as supports for the new terrain. (more on that in a minute) There are several new miniatures including the new Mobile Brigada sculpt  and a unit called the Reverend Healer. There is also a Father Knight and a Grenzer. The pre-order set comes with a Grenz Security Team model which is a mini-skirt clad business exec. with a suitcase gun. I was really taken back by the style and sculpt of the new models, especially the Mobile Brigada, which is a vast improvement. (just my opinion). I have included the complete list of components in the box.
 -PanOceania: 3 x Fusiliers; 1 x Svalarheima Nisses; 1 x ORC Troop; 1 x Akalis Sikh Commando; 1 x Military Order Father-Knight; / -Nomads: 3 x Alguaciles; 1 x Grenzer, Grenz Security Team; 1 x Mobile Brigada; 1 x Spektr; 1 x Reverend Healer; / 1 x CSU, Corporate Security Unit (EXCLUSIVE FOR PRE-ORDERS); Game Mat; 3 PanO Dice, 3 Nomads Dice; Scenery; Ruler; Markers


The game mat and terrain are interesting and I found myself liking the terrain way more than I thought I would and the game mat way less than I had hoped. The terrain is essentially fold-out cardboard buildings that can be reinforced by sticking any infinity box-set box inside of it. This works well because it encourages you to buy more box sets or it rewards your purchases by giving you sturdy buildings. The buildings and containers have ladders printed on them so the roofs are accessible. The buildings are also designed to give your troops cover when they are on top. Assembly was a breeze (after some initial confusion) and the buildings seemed very sturdy considering they are made of card stock. I was thoroughly pleased with the terrain.





Except for the game mat.





The game mat seemed too brightly colored and more like the deck of a ship and less like something people would erect buildings on top of. I really feel like CB could have made the mat look more like a sidewalk and made it less bright and shiny overall. The game mat seemed to distract the eye from the terrain and the miniatures. It is a good start but I wouldn't use it in a tournament or even a friendly game.


The templates and counters seem like they are a good start for a beginner but if you wanted to play a larger game you should reinforce them or use a more durable style of counter.

The book was well written and had some teaser information. I will not give away new rules but there were a few oddities and surprises. (two units are equipped with something called a breaker pistol which I guess will be in the new edition.)


Lastly, the box set comes with six faction specific dice. (3 Pan-O, 3 Nomad) These dice are really nice and have the faction symbol cut into the "1" place on the die. I hope CB decides to release these types of dice for each faction. I think they would sell a ton of them.


Overall the box set was very nice and I think it would be a good starting point for new Infinity players. I hope CB decides to release other box sets with different armies. That may just be wishful thinking on my part though.

No comments:

Post a Comment